Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Wear-To-Work: Navy Blue






 Dress c/o// Navy Blazer (schoolboy is old, but similar here)
Glasses (mine are discontinued style called 'Chandler', but similar here and here)
Tank Watch// Bucket Bag (it's monogrammed!) c/o// Navy Pumps (Similar)



The weather has finally warmed up here in Pittsburgh and I couldn't be happier. It's funny to think it was snowing just last week and then this past weekend the weather was perfectly 75 and sunny! Think mother nature knew it was my birthday weekend ;) ?! That's definitely spring in Pittsburgh for you: unpredictable.

I was so excited to finally be able to wear this J.McLaughlin dress. It boasts a gorgeous blue print and the zipper down the front adds some interest compared to your usual fit and flare style dress. As for sizing, I am wearing a size 2 and would say it runs true to size... if you are in between sizes, I would suggest sizing down. 

Since the weather in spring is so unpredictable, I styled this dress in a wear-to-work way! Chilly mornings call for a great navy blazer. A navy blazer is a classic and should be a staple in both men and women's closets. You can wear it to work and again on the weekends. The styling options are endless! While most navy blazers are slightly pricey, you'll find your price per wear comes out to be pennies in the long run!

My tip for blazers to avoid a stuffy or frumpy look is to buy your blazer a size larger than you normally would and then take it to the tailor to have it fitted perfectly to your body. This is like the "poor man's" version of a custom jacket, but it really works! Then I suggest styling your blazer. For example, wearing your blazer as-is can look slightly matronly or outdated, but if you pop the collar, add a colorful silk scarf, or bunch up the sleeves, the look is instantly updated and stylish. I also almost never button my blazers... not only do I feel super constricted, but I think a blazer looks too masculine when buttoned on a woman! Although, if you want to button your blazer, if it has three buttons, there's a saying for each button: sometimes, always, never. I've pulled 4 of my favorite blazers all at different price ranges.

Another wardrobe staple that I get so much wear out of is a navy pump. I have had these pumps forever and wear them all the time. Not only do they look great with skinny jeans on the weekends, but during the work week, they work with pretty much everything. The exact pair I am wearing are sold out, but I've found several similar pair in different price ranges.

And lastly, the bucket bag has become my go-to bag. I actually love it more than my Louis Vuitton Speedy 30. They're similar in size and they are both brown, but I love the shoulder strap on the bucket bag. It makes it so easy to tote around a bunch of stuff but doesn't tire out my arm like my Louis Vuitton does. I also love that it can fit a large water bottle and even an extra pair of shoes if necessary. This bag is so well made and I love the texture of the pebbled leather. I think the understated gold monogram is the best part! It's a classic that I'll enjoy for years to come. 

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure