Friday, May 30, 2014

Be Nice to Everyone!


So I had to post this story, because it's semi hilarious, semi terrible. 

The other day I had to leave work early to return a rental car and pick up my car which was getting fixed. The company that I was driving to was pretty far away from my office and in an area I am not familiar with. My GPS took me all over the place to get to my final destination. 

Anyways, it was around 3:30 in the afternoon, it was pretty traffic-y and I was stuck behind a school bus. 

If you picture the back of a school bus, it has a large window in the middle and then two on each side of the large window. Through the windows, I could see a bunch of the children. Since we were sitting in traffic I was looking at the back of the bus and this cute little boy who couldn't have been more than 7 smiled and waved. I thought it was too cute so I smiled and waved back! 

But then... his face turned sour and he gave me the middle finger!!!! I'm no prude, but I mean this child was young... even at 24, I would never give someone the middle finger!  Of course, I did not really react, although, I imagine my face showed a bit of shock. As we kept slowly winding through traffic he kept giving me a mean face and a middle finger. 

Obviously, I didn't take it to heart and just completely ignored the young child... I didn't want to fuel his fire! While I'm hoping he has no idea what his gesture meant, I could tell he knew it wasn't nice. 

I'm not a parent, nor here to judge, but a 7 year old giving strangers the middle finger is alarming! When I told my friends about it, they were laughing hysterically (and I can imagine anyone I know IRL that is reading this is cracking up about this picturing my reaction). I mean, it's funny when I look back at it, but if only this child's parents knew what he was doing! I'm not naive and realized it's 2014 and children are exposed to a lot more than even when I was young (#tbt to 1997, when I was 7), but really?! 

Just had to share this. If I had the child's address, I'd ship him my book in the above photo! Have a fabulous day and don't give anyone the middle finger this weekend ;) 

Yours, 

6 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Okay, well I am a parent and I have a 7 year old daughter and she does not even know what the middle finger is!!!! I am not shocked but I am appalled at how young kids behave. Most of the time, it really does come down to parenting.

Monica {Cake and Lilies} said...

I definitely laughed, but that's terrible! It really is alarming with what kids get away with now. I'm about to turn 24 as well, but seriously don't think that when we were that age, many kids would act the way they do now. But who knows!

Emily said...

It's honestly alarming all of the "grown-up" things kids know about these days. I remember being completely oblivious at that age, but when I lifeguard at the pool I'm always shocked when I hear what they say to each other.

*Side note* I remember finding out about the middle finger in second grade and I refused to believe that it could be a bad gesture and proceeded to tell my lunch table that God created all fingers equal :)

PinkSenshi said...

I know exactly what you mean! Last summer I worked at a theater camp as the director and some of the things those kids did were crazy. They knew they were being mean to me and other kids, and I just couldn't believe that someone hadn't really taught them otherwise before.

Hunter
Prep on a Budget

Portuguese Prepster said...

omg that would have totally startled me! I always hear the craziest stories from my friends who are teachers!

scarlett said...

I know exactly what you mean, and is sad in a way to see the world we´re living in, and what type of people is going to rule it, if parents don´t make an effort, not just to send kids to school but teach them about kindness and good manners. This remindesme about the video where kids insult the teacher and make her cry on a school bus as well...
anyways love your writing!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure