Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reliving the 1960s

I have always LOVED the show Bewitched starring Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York. For Christmas, I got the entire 5th season on DVD and I have been watching it obsessively ever since. I've been noticing a trend in the shows/women/style that I just can't get enough of... what you ask is that? It's the 1960s. No, no, I don't like the hippie, psychadelic look, but I can't seem to get enough of Samantha Stevens wardrobe from Bewitched, or Betty Draper's from Mad Men, and of course, who can forget Jackie O.  Short sheath dresses, pretty flats, styled hair, lots of pearls and other gorgeous stones, and elegance is all found in the 1960s. Just look at some of the examples..I would love to own each of these pieces!
 Simple and classic in Kelly green!
 I love the look of a full skirted dress... I don't know why we don't see them more often, they are so flattering on most women's figures.
 More gorgeous dress examples. The 1960s used lots of gorgeous colors and patterns.
 Love this dress on Samantha! It fits her so well, and the cut is classic and conservative. The striped belt adds a fun punch to the dress!
Betty Draper looks glamorous with perfectly coiffed hair, and pretty white gloves. I love the pleating on the skirt of her dress.
 Charlotte from Sex and the City in a pretty 1960s inspired frock. I love the a-line fit of the dress, and again, the full skirt!
 Who doesn't love these two outfits on Jackie O. They are not only fabulous when she wore them, but every thing about her outfits are perfect for today!
 This has so much 1960s qualities! Bright color, a-line, high cut on the chest, and a full skirt!
 I am OBSESSED with this dress and matching coat. Samantha wears a lot of these coat/dress combos, I wish they still made dresses with matching coats, how elegant!
 This dress has a very Betty Draper look to it. Betty is normally dressed is a floral-y printed dress which I just love!
 Another example of the full skirted dress. This one has gorgeous embroidered detail on it and would be just perfect for a cocktail party.
 Whenever I see something with a neck like this, I scoop it up! I just found a gorgeous silk tank from Talbots with this neckline and I just had to get it because it's such a flattering neckline. Not only is the neckline on this dress gorgeous, but the fabric and the cut of the dress is just too perfect!
 Another glamorous coat.
I love, love, love this dress. The embellishment around the neck adds just the perfect touch of fun, and the white gloves are nice and dainty.
Do you love 1960's styles/fashion? I have become a bit obsessed, and soon hope to acquire a wardrobe of vintage inspired pieces! Have a fabulous day!
Yours,
sCe

13 comments:

Taryn said...

I love Samantha's style. I have definitely seen her rock a Lilly or two as well:)

Leslie said...

I love all of those dresses!! The style of them is just so cute and feminine!

Buckhead Belle said...

Love this post! I am ob-sessed with 60s fashion and Jackie O's style.

the pink prep said...

your selections are dee-vine!
i have a small collection of 1960s clothing....and i just love the cut of the dresses and swing coats! i love anything Jackie and Betty (draper, that is!)

Pink Champagne said...

There is something so chic and ladylike about a full skirted dress - I just adore these looks!

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with all of those dresses -- especially the polka-dotted one! Too adorable!

Anonymous said...

I wish girls could still dress like this today! Everything was much nicer and more lady-like. All of the dresses are gorgeous!

The Aly Way said...

Jackie O is my biggest style inspiration. I absolutely love her. Kate Bosworth's outfits as Sandra Dee in "Beyond the Sea" are adorably classic too. I also really enjoy Joan's style on Mad Men, and think that Sophia Vergara's style on the red carpet is a twentieth century adaptation of Joan's style! Fun post!

~ thealyway.blogspot.com ~

The Redhead and her Pooch Lola said...

I so should have lived in the 60's too...love the full skirts and definately could have made a terrific Samantha! Too bad my nose doesn't twitch nor can I do magic...its a shame.

kayce hughes said...

Love all of your vintage finds!

Megan said...

i'm so drawn to these shapes and all the inspiration photos.. they would really transition seamlessly to today!

Anastasia Schembri said...

Count me in with the 60's style obsession!! Such divine ladylike confections! Just adore the full skirt too, Talbots has a few this spring season that I have scooped up already! I have seen quite a few coming down the runways as well, so maybe we are in lucky!
Love your blog and this post, hope you don't mind that I tweeted about it!!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Christy said...

You will definitely enjoy this blog!

http://adore-vintage.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!
Cuffy

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure