Friday, September 17, 2010

wCm: Never, Never, Never, Never Give Up

This post is definitely of a sadder, more somber tone, so do not read if you get saddened easily.

Several months ago my grandfather passed away. I could ever write a post that would remotely do him and his life justice because he was one of the greatest men I will ever know. I am so extremely blessed that he was in my life for 20 years. I did a post on my grandparents almost an entire year ago, you can read it here.  Originally, I was not going to do a post about this, not because he doesn't deserve a post, but because it is very difficult to talk about someone who you loved so much passing away. I know that nothing I write will ever truly capture the love I have for him. So why a post now? My sister, Callie, has a Polyvore and she updates hers a lot. Her Polyvores are really great and inspiring. I was just looking at her newest Polyvores last night and came across this one:

Callie did not tell me she made a polyvore about him. This collage embodies my grandpa in so many ways, and as soon as I saw it, I realized I had tears in my eyes. Callie and I are very close as sisters, but we are very different as well. Callie is much more quiet and reserved, where I am very outgoing. Seeing this and how many memories are in this one, tiny, little, minute corner of the internet, created by my own sister, not only makes me so proud to call her my sister, but I am so glad that she remembers him just as I do.

My daddy's side of the family. Grandpa is the third one from the left in the gray sport coat. 

To kind of explain the collage: My grandfather was like a sponge when it came to the news. He read every newspaper known to man and when the TV was on, it was always Fox news. He drank a dry Manhattan once a day and ever since I can remember, if you asked me what's in a Manhattan, I could tell you. 

He pretty much always wore khaki pants, boat shoes and a button down shirt (either Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren). When it was cold outside, he added a v-neck or cardigan sweater. He fought for our country, he loved anything to do with history, and most of all he loved my sister and I so much.  He was a loving husband to my grammie, a great father to my aunt, uncle, and dad, and he was the greatest grandfather to not only his grandchildren, but all of the children that he ever came into contact with. He was involved in many charitable and philanthropic organizations like the Shriners, and would do anything to make the lives of children better. 

The glasses in the polyvore are funny to me because he used to wear large bifocal glasses, and whenever he took them off, Callie would always try them on and she looked SO funny in them. The cookie crisp is representative of whenever we would stay over at their house. My grammie and grandpa would have "unhealthy" cereal just for us because we weren't allowed to eat it at home. 

The hat is because my grandparents have a convertible and he would always wear a polo hat when the top was down or whenever we were on the boat at the lake house. 

Last but not least, the song that plays on the polyvore is Scotland the Brave on the bagpipes. My dad's side of the family is of Scottish heritage and the bagpipes were played at his funeral. Every year our family attends a Scottish festival, and my dad wears a kilt every year on Christmas Eve. 

Grammie, Daddy, Grandpa, Mother @ the Christmas Ball at the country club

Dictionary.com defines a gentleman as "a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered man". My grandfather was all of that and so much more. I can thank him for all of the manners that I know. I can thank him for teaching me all about diamonds and jewelry (he was in the diamond business for many years). I can thank him for helping me grow into a respectable young lady.

 
Baby version of me, and Grandpa

My grandfather was sick for quite some time because when he was younger, he smoked (DO NOT SMOKE!). He had breathing problems for several years until his body finally gave in. While he was in the hospital, a Winston Churchill quote was hung on his bulletin board that said: "Never, never, never, never give up". He really did never give up. I am a person that is big on quotes. Here are several quotes that I read very often and when I do, I think of my grandpa. If you have ever lost a loved one, I hope these quotes will help you to remember them.


"Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
That, we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect.
Without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you.
For an interval.
Somewhere. Very near.
Just around the corner.

All is well."


“Love is stronger than death even though it cannot stop death from happening, no matter how hard death tries, it cannot separate people from love. It cannot take away our memories either. In the end, love is stronger than death.”

I am truly sorry if this post has saddened or upset anyone. It was simply meant to pay respect and remember my grandfather. With that being said, remember your lost loved ones today, and don't be saddened, but just remember them and how great they were and how incredibly lucky you were to have known them.

Yours,
sCe

14 comments:

Kerry said...

Summer Wind, this was an amazing post. As I type this, I have tears running down my face as well. This post has changed my outlook towards the day. Thank you for sharing this and may your grandfather rest in peace. God Bless!

Jennifer said...

thanks for sharing this lovely tribute! My condolences.
Jennifer aka Gigi

The Sailor in Pink said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Good memories will keep him alive :]

Have a great weekend
OoXx

Marcia said...

Awesome!

miss mia said...

This did bring tears to my eyes because I lost one of my grandfathers when I was just seven. It makes me smile too though...its inspiring and such a great celebration of life. I still have very fond memories of my papa and reading your post just reminded me of how lucky I am to have had those years with him. Thank you for sharing! Hope you have a fabulous day!

how i met your father blog said...

so sorry for your loss

how i met your father blog said...

so sorry for your loss, sweet girl

Miss Southern Prep said...

What a sweet tribute. I am so sorry for your loss, but it's so sweet that you have so many wonderful memories of him. I lost both of my grandparents a few years back, and this brought tears to my eyes just thinking of them.

Beaufort Belle said...

I think this is a wonderful post and tribute to your grandfather. I too, did a post on my grandfather several weeks ago. I think most grandfathers really have an impact on their granddaughters.

We are saddened by the loss, but blessed by the memories. And one day we will join them yet again.

Sandra said...

What a lucky girl to have had such a wonderful grandfather, and what a lucky man your grandfather was to have had you and your sister!! xoxo

Sarah Wyland said...

Bless your sweet little heart. My grandpa and I were very close and he passed away when I was six. It's been 18 years and I still tear up thinking about him. You have beautiful memories that will carry you a lifetime, even if he is no longer with you. :)

Anonymous said...

I think this is a beautiful tribute to your grandfather!

Jeannie said...

Thanks so much for this beautiful post! I lost my grandfather two years ago and still miss him every day! Grandparents are such a special part of a persons life, and I was so touched to read about yours.

Ruth said...

A very sweet post about your grandfather. It brought tears to my eyes thinking of my grandfathers and how special they were to me.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure