Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fall Wardrobe Staples

For fall, I know I can always count on certain pieces of clothing to take me right into fall and then right into winter. I call them my fall staples. They are timeless, well made and a must have for all college students, and beyond! Here is a list of what I consider to be my "staples":
  • Ralph Lauren Oxford Shirts- I have every color, and also several stirped, and several gingham. I also find that Brooks Brothers does a nice slimfit oxford as well but only have a few of them. These are perfect with denim, colored chinos, corduroys, layered under sweaters, vests, etc. You can dress them up or down. They never go out of style and they wash well. Sometimes I get mine in the boy's section in size 14 because they are cheaper. They are a little boxier, but they give off the boyfriend look which is "in" right now.
  • Brooks Brothers Cardigan and Shell- You really cannot go wrong with a sweater set. You can wear them separately or paired together. Black, Navy, and Camel are the best to have because they are neutral and can be paired with anything. If you can, invest in a cashmere sweater set, you will get your money's worth of wear for sure!
  • Quilted Jacket- I have 3 (I know, a little excessive). A brown one from Talbots Kids, a Teal one from Vineyard Vines and a black one from Ralph Lauren. The teal was a stretch, but it looks great with dark denim. The brown was purchased because I got a steal of a deal and the black was purchased because it is well made and practical. Burberry and Barbour are the leaders in quilted jackets, however you can get a really nice one from L.L. Bean and Lands End for a lot less and even equal or greater quality.




  • Cable knit crew-neck sweater- I like Ralph Lauren because they seemed to fit the best for me. However, I own two Lilly Pulitzer ones that are nice, but they fit more boxy and large than the RL one's do. I have them in wool, cashmere, and cotton. They are perfect with skirts, pants, and shorts and can be worn over your shoulders, under a down vest or jacket, or over top of something with a collar such as a polo or oxford. I also find that they go well with turtlenecks when it gets really chilly out.







  • Riding Boots- Black or Brown work. These are great because they can be dressed up or down and can make a "frumpy" outfit look instantly put together. Always wear them with your pants, leggings, or tights tucked into the boot. There are so many brand options, I actually don't even know where mine are from, my mother got them for me for Christmas one year. Again, you can't go wrong with L. L. Bean or Lands End. Even PiperLime has cute boots sometimes and Frye is definitely a good choice.



    • L.L. Bean Duck Boots- I hate rain boots so these are a must have for me. I like them in the moc style so I can wear them with most types of pants. Several companies offer this style of shoe and I am usually never too picky about brands, but for this particular item, to me, L.L. Bean is the only way to go. 

      All of these along with a good headband, scarf, and pearls are really all you need to get you into fall! What are your wardrobe staples for fall? Have a fabulous day!
      Yours,
      sCe

      6 comments:

      how i met your father blog said...

      i love that ralph lauren oxfords are still a college kid staple -- doesn't make me feel so old!!
      funny story... when we were in college someone (we never found out who) would go through the laundry machines and steal ralph lauren oxfords. it was so sad!! i lost a lot of shirts that way!

      Anonymous said...

      I want a quilted coat so badly. I tried on a couple at talbots this year and they all were wide and big, I should take up your suggestion and try Talbot's Kids!

      Beaufort Belle said...

      Looks like the perfect fall wardrobe to me! Can't go wrong on any of these items.

      Hope you are having a great week!

      Carole said...

      I like the LL Bean duck boots that look like ballet flats--not as clunky but will still keep your feet dry.

      The Sailor in Pink said...

      love the idea for getting the RL oxfords in the boy's size! I'll definitely try that next time! Loved all of your fall staples! Great choices! Have a great weekend!

      Anonymous said...

      Duck boots and a quilted coat are definitely staples for me! I love the first time I break out my burberry coat for the season. It's almost as great as the first time I take out my riding boots!

       

      © Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure