Thursday, September 2, 2010

Degas

I have been in love with Edgar Degas, the French painter/sculptor, for quite some time. I think it started back in second grade when you first learn about the great artists such as DaVinci, VanGogh, and the like. I was a ballerina up until I was 14 when I traded my ballet shoes for pompoms. Truth be told, I didn't care for ballet when I actually took classes and did recitals. It was only until after I stopped that I saw the true beauty of a ballerinas grace that I really appreciated the art. I especially love visiting the National Gallery of Art in D.C. because they have several Degas works. Here are some of my favorites:
They are so elegant, and the way he uses color is just beautiful. A fun fact about the sculptures is that most of the sculptures were made of wax, and in the early 1900s, a company made bronze casts out of the wax sculptures as a way to preserve the sculptures (I am not quite sure about the details, but this is what I have read!). Do you have a favorite artist or style of art? Have a fabulous day!
Yours,
sCe

5 comments:

Sunny said...

Ooooh....I completely agree with you! I love Degas! Absolutely beautiful, and I am a huge fan of dance in general, ballet inparticular!

C Mae said...

I love teaching Degas to my kids (I'm an art teacher) but I often skip over him, because it's very difficult to get my boy students to want to draw/paint any type of a ballerina!

Politically Sweet said...

i LOVE degas as well; i am so glad someone appreciates/knows about him (none of my friends do). seeing the paintings in museums are so beautiful and captivating! hope classes are going well and you have a great weekend! p.s. thanks for the follow :)

Julie Leah said...

Degas takes my breath. I love his work so much, it's just so dreamy and feminine. I got to see the 'little dancer' sculpture either in DC or NYC, I can't remember.

Fabulous post lady!! I hope school is going well! xoxo

SouthernBelleJM said...

Love Degas. I have the top print. It's going to be hung in my guest room. I, also, have Blue Dancers. It's such a pretty print as well. Oh, and I have the little dancer statue too!!!!!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure